Rape is the fourth most common crime against women in India
India recorded an average of 87 rape cases daily in 2019 and overall 4,05,861 cases of crime against women during the year, a rise of over 7% from 2018. However, the conviction rate is as low as 27.8%. This means, out of 100 accused, only 28 gets convicted.
In 15,972 of the total 33,356 rape cases, the offenders were either family friends or neighbour or employer or other known person, while in 12,568 cases, the offenders were friends or online friends or live-in partner on pretext of marriage or separated husband, the data stated.
Rape is a non-bailable offense in the Indian penal code,” Anuja Trehan Kapur, a New Delhi-based criminal psychologist and advocate, told DW. Kapur has assisted government officials on high-profile criminal cases, including the 2012 gang rape.
“But people do get bail because of a lack of evidence [in many cases]. The accused are often sheltered by police, or politicians, or even lawyers,” Kapur added.
Rape Risk Reduction
- Secure your car and home. …
- Avoid unsafe situations and strangers. …
- Flee if you are in a potentially dangerous situation. …
- Engage in passive or active resistance. …
- Think! …
- You are responsible for your own safety. …
- Don’t let a stranger inside your home to use the phone; make the call for him.
- Recognize that people neither ask for nor deserve to be abused, harassed, assaulted or raped—ever.
- Support and believe survivors of sexual violence.
- Bring awareness and challenge victim-blaming statements.
- Give constructive input about why comments or jokes that perpetuate rape culture or sexism are not okay.
- Get help or take action by directly intervening when you see someone taking advantage of a person who is not capable of giving consent.
- Consent is mandatory and every sexual interaction you have must be consensual–no excuse. Educate yourself on what it means to get and give consent.
This problem is global. Around the world, the poorer you are, the more likely you are to be raped. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, for example, Americans who had a household income of less than $7,500 per year reported being victims of sexual assault at 12 times the rate of people with a household income of $75,000 or more.
There are many reasons. Poor people everywhere are more vulnerable to every kind of exploitation. They are less able to make the law work for them. Drinking and drug abuse, both risk factors for rape, are more common. Poor women are often economically dependent on men. They may live in a neighborhood where, in the absence of jobs and material possessions, a man’s status depends on his aggression and toughness. The local culture may treat men as superior to women and therefore sexually entitled.
- rapes in IndiaRape is the fourth most common crime against women in India India recorded an average of 87 rape cases daily in 2019 andContinue reading “rapes in India”
- Mummy coffin opened for the first time in 2500 years in EgyptEgypt has many more ancient secrets to reveal. The archaeologists in Egypt took to a rather eventful turn to openContinue reading “Mummy coffin opened for the first time in 2500 years in Egypt”
- Gandhi Jayanti 2020The history, importance and significance Gandhi Jayanti is an event celebrated in India to mark the birth anniversary of MahatmaContinue reading “Gandhi Jayanti 2020”
- rape cases in India(Hathras gang-rape case:Hathras gang-rape case)Rape is the fourth most common crime against women in India. According to the 2018 annual report of the National Crime RecordsContinue reading “rape cases in India(Hathras gang-rape case:Hathras gang-rape case)”
- doesn’t matter to all black or whiteGod create us all equal The lesson I was you to learn is.. it doesn’t matter what you look like,Continue reading “doesn’t matter to all black or white”
- REJECTIONRejection of life Rejection doesn’t mean you aren’t good enough, it mean the other person failed to notice what youContinue reading “REJECTION”
- Follow your dreamsIf you have a heartbeat, there’s still time still time for your Dreams are important because dreams are thoughts. You see, when you are dreaming,Continue reading “Follow your dreams”